AcademyACL welcomes resumes and employment applications throughout the year.
Click HERE to see openings and apply online. < This is where you will find active postings and current job openings.
The selection of highly qualified, caring, and professional personnel from diverse backgrounds who are committed to supporting the unique vision and mission of AcademyACL is the single most important factor in our success. Gifted and advanced students are found in every background, skin color, and economic level, and we welcome teachers who bring that perspective to build strong and caring relationships with our students, families, and staff.
For a Classroom Teacher Position, teaching license is preferred but not required. Applicants must hold either:
- BA in Elementary Education, OR
- PRAXIS in Elementary Education, passing score
- or for Encore/Specialized positions: degree in that field of study (Spanish, theater/music, etc.)
- Experience with gifted students or gifted education is preferred.
Highlights of our Teaching Positions:
- Highly collaborative and creative staff
- A morning classroom assistant for each homeroom teacher to support tasks & clerical work in 2022-23
- Increased mental health benefits option with medical benefits
- Hands-on Resources to use with students
- A newly renovated and expanded building with $10.4 of upgrades
- AMAZING students and families
Use this link for Transparency in Coverage Rule, effective July 1, 2022: https://www.cigna.com/legal/compliance/machine-readable-files
The link above leads to the machine-readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data. [This section is a required posting as of July 1, 2022]
In March of every year, AcademyACL conducts career pathway meetings with staff, and actively welcomes applications from those interested in employment at AcademyACL. Initial screenings of new applicants may be conducted before postings are listed.
Classrooms and Teaching Positions are organized in the following way:
- Division I (grade K)
- Division II (grades 1/2)
- Division III (grades 3/4)
- Division IV (grades 5/6)
- Division V (grades 7/8)
- Special Education (all grades)
- Encore Teacher ("specials" teacher, all grades)
All classroom teachers must be willing to teach every subject, regardless of their homeroom division age. AcademyACL uses an elementary scheduling model, not a middle school specialty scheduling model. All classes are multi-age, and may contain 2-5 different levels of “ages”.
Please do not apply if you only want to teach one subject. Please consider joining our team if you're interested in connecting multiple subject areas. Specials teachers also integrate with core classes in reading/writing, and math.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS, all positions all year- These are NOT openings listed below. The link to any current openings is at the top of this page where it says >click here< to apply online.
- We are updating to keep all of our job descriptions here for reference, and are working our way through the list to link all of them below.
- These are listed here, all year round for reference; they are not listed here as open positions. Please see the APPLY link above for the current list of open, active positions to be hired.
- Academy Director
- Business Manager
- Classroom Assistant on Special Assignment (CASA)
- Dean of Student Support
- Administrative Assistant
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Classroom Teacher
- Encore Teacher (Art, Music/Theater, Spanish, PE, Rhythm & Bells, Technology)
- Special Education Teacher
- Resource Teacher
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Language
- School Nurse
- Head Custodian
AcademyACL seeks excellent teachers for our charter public school program, specializing in the unique needs of gifted learners in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Positions are posted on the link above, to Talent Ed, an educational job site including any positions at a school including custodian, psychologist, teacher, or office positions, as needed.
- All K8 and other positions are invited to apply at any time. Resumes and applications are reviewed for which positions may be open or most needed. Current faculty make their own career decisions for the following year in a January to June timeframe.
AcademyACL seeks individuals from diverse backgrounds, among the most qualified, who want to make a difference in educating all children, and who want to specialize in the education of gifted learners. Our application, screening and selection process allows our personnel to fairly consider all applicants and select those individuals who have the greatest potential for reaching our goals for students’ success and achievement.
AcademyACL uses an “elementary” K-8 model.
All teachers teach ALL subjects, including sixth, seventh, and eighth grade levels. Encore (specials) teachers collaborate with homeroom teachers to connect math and reading/writing lessons to their specialty areas throughout the building.
All employment at AcademyACL is on an “at will” basis per Colorado law. AcademyACL or any individual employment may terminate his or her Work Agreement, without notice, at any time, for any reason or no reason. Work Agreements are not for any definite term or period of time, and individual employees are not hired for any defined period of time. No representative or agent of AcademyACL has any authority to modify the “at will” status of the employment relationship.
Educator Requirements Under Federal ESSA
Colorado outlines expectations for Educator Requirements. As noted at the top of this page, AcademyACL prefers but does not require current Colorado licensure. However, candidates must meet the other criteria listed.
AT ACADEMYACL, STATE LICENSURE IS PREFERRED, AND GIFTED EDUCATION ENDORSEMENT OR DEGREE IS PREFERRED. AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES IS REQUIRED.
Job descriptions and open positions are posted periodically on the AcademyACL website. Applicants should monitor this page and submit a new application if they are interested in a new posted position.
Additional responsibilities may be supported by stipends as needed. Positions such as paraprofessional are filled according to demonstrated need from the student body and as the enrollment and subsequent budget numbers allow. Therapists for occupational, physical, speech and other such needs are met on a contractual basis with licensed professionals in the area.
Applicants whose paperwork passes initial screening may be invited to a personal interview, or phone interview if currently out-of-state. Applicants should indicate at the time of interview the point at which they might prefer that their current employer is contacted for a reference check. Following a successful interview, teaching applicants may be asked to schedule a time to teach a fifteen- to twenty-minute demonstration lesson, and second interviews may be asked of any candidate as well. Job offers will be contingent upon a successful application and interview process as well as a successful reference check process.
Upon offer of employment, required documentation may include but may not be limited to the following original documents:
- A tax form W-4
- A Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) membership application form
- Authorization and application for any other form of payroll deduction
- Police background check (local and national if applicable) occurs through the Colorado Springs School District 11 Security office, for any candidates who do not hold current Colorado licensure.
- Candidates who do hold current Colorado licensure will have a status check performed on their licensure status.
- Birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: A US Department of Justice (Immigration and Naturalization Service) Employment Eligibility Verification form I-9
- Social Security card
- Valid Picture I.D.
- Proof of full-time teaching experience
Suggested reading for teaching applicants:
- Familiarity with AcademyACL’s website and in particular, its vision, mission, and approach to curriculum
- The Flip Side, Breaking Free of the Behaviors that Hold You Back, Flip Flippen, 2008. This resource forms the basis of the Capturing Kids’ Hearts model of classroom management that AcademyACL uses school wide
Applicable reading at AcademyACL for teachers includes:
- How the Gifted Brain Learns by David A. Sousa (2009)
- Best Practices in Gifted Education: An Evidence-Based Guide by Ann Robinson, Bruce M. Shore, Donna L. Enersen, and Ph.D. (2006)
- The Art and Science of Teaching by Robert Marzano (2007)
- Focus, by Michael Schmoker (2011)
Other helpful reading:
- Growing Up Gifted: Developing the Potential of Children at Home and at School (7th Edition) by Barbara Clark (2007)
- Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger’s, Depression, And Other Disorders by James T. Webb, et al. (2005)
Required training for AcademyACL staff and/or teachers includes:
- First Aid and CPR Training, with Epi-Pen Training (all staff on a rolling basis)
- Crisis Prevention Institute Training (CPI), (as applicable)
- Capturing Kids Hearts© Training