Employment at Academy for Advanced and Creative Learning
AcademyACL welcomes resumes and employment applications throughout the year. Please download the employment application and email the school office that you will be sending your materials as soon as possible.
Positions for the following year are open until filled. All applicants for full-time teaching positions must be willing to teach all subjects.
Openings posted July 2018:
- Part-time Rhythm and Bells (handbells) Choir teacher, one hour daily, 2pm to 3pm
- Part-time Teachers Aide (morning, to include crossing guard and lunch duty)
- Part-time Teachers Aide (to include lunch and afternoon crossing guard)
- Part-time Afternoon/Evening Custodian
Contact email@example.com or 719.434.6566 for the most updated information on these positions. Positions are open until filled.
AcademyACL seeks excellent teachers for our charter public school program, specializing in the unique needs of gifted learners in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Positions are posted on the link above, to Teachers-Teachers, an educational job site including any positions at a school including custodian, psychologist, teacher, or office positions, as needed.
- All K8 and other positions are invited to apply at any time. Resumes and applications are reviewed for which positions may be open or most needed. Current faculty make their own career decisions for the following year in a January to June timeframe.
The selection of highly qualified, caring, and professional personnel who are committed to supporting the unique vision and mission of AcademyACL is the single most important factor in our success.
AcademyACL seeks individuals from among the most qualified, who want to make a difference in educating all children, and who want to specialize in the education of gifted learners. Our application, screening and selection process allows our personnel to fairly consider all applicants and select those individuals who have the greatest potential for reaching our goals for students’ success and achievement.
AcademyACL uses an “elementary” K-8 model.
All teachers teach ALL subjects, including sixth, seventh, and eighth grade levels. Encore (specials) teachers collaborate with homeroom teachers to connect math and reading/writing lessons to their specialty areas throughout the building.
All employment at AcademyACL is on an “at will” basis per Colorado law. AcademyACL or any individual employment may terminate his or her Work Agreement, without notice, at any time, for any reason or no reason. Work Agreements are not for any definite term or period of time, and individual employees are not hired for any defined period of time. No representative or agent of AcademyACL has any authority to modify the “at will” status of the employment relationship.
In March of every year, AcademyACL conducts career pathway meetings with staff, and actively welcomes applications from those interested in employment at AcademyACL. Initial screenings of new applicants may be conducted before specific postings are listed.
AT THIS TIME, WE WELCOME APPLICANTS FOR A VARIETY OF POSITIONS. POSITIONS POSTED MAY NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE A CURRENT OPENING. WE ASK YOU TO INDICATE INTEREST IN ALL THE LEVELS OF INTEREST TO YOU:
- Division I (grade K)
- Division II (grades 1/2)
- Division III (grades 3/4)
- Division IV (grades 5/6)
- Division V (grades 7/8)
- Special Education (all grades)
- Encore Teacher (all grades)
All classroom teachers must be willing to teach every subject, regardless of their homeroom division age. AcademyACL uses an elementary scheduling model, not a middle school specialty scheduling model.
All classes are multi-age, and may contain 2-5 different levels of “ages”.
You are welcome to check out our information on Teachers-Teachers.com. Applications are welcome at any time regardless of whether there is a position currently open or posted. Teaching application for employment: Employment Application, AcademyACL.
For non-teaching posistions use the Non-Teaching Staff Employment Application
- All job descriptions are available, whether or not there is an actual open position.
- Academy Director Job Description
- Business Manager Job Description
- Classroom Teacher Job Description
- Building Manager Job Description
- Evening Custodial Job Description
- Encore Teacher Job Description, coming soon
- Specials: Art, Music/Theater, Spanish, P.E., Rhythm & Bells Choir, Technology
- Office Personnel Job Description, coming soon
- Special Education Teacher Job Description
- Teacher's Aid Job Description
- Psychologist, Full Time, Job Description
- Personnel such as Nurse, Speech-Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, etc. are subject to an individual contract-basis
- Please contact the school office with any questions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.434.6566 for any questions on the Employment Application.
Highly Qualified Requirements
Teaching candidates are required to meet Colorado’s expectations for Highly Qualified. All core content teachers must:
- Hold a degree
- Be fully licensed (except for general education teachers in charter schools that have been waived from licensing by the State Board of Education)
- Demonstrate subject matter competency
- Special Education teachers are required to hold state licensure in their field.
AT ACADEMYACL, STATE LICENSURE IS PREFERRED, AND GIFTED EDUCATION ENDORSEMENT OR DEGREE IS PREFERRED. AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES IS REQUIRED.
Job descriptions and open positions are posted periodically on the AcademyACL website. Applicants should monitor this page and submit a new application if they are interested in a new posted position.
Additional responsibilities may be supported by stipends as needed. Positions such as paraprofessional are filled according to demonstrated need from the student body and as the enrollment and subsequent budget numbers allow. Therapists for occupational, physical, speech and other such needs are met on a contractual basis with licensed professionals in the area.
Applicants whose paperwork passes initial screening may be invited to a personal interview, or phone interview if currently out-of-state. Applicants should indicate at the time of interview the point at which they might prefer that their current employer is contacted for a reference check. Following a successful interview, teaching applicants may be asked to schedule a time to teach a fifteen- to twenty-minute demonstration lesson, and second interviews may be asked of any candidate as well. Job offers will be contingent upon a successful application and interview process as well as a successful reference check process.
Upon offer of employment, required documentation may include but may not be limited to the following original documents:
- A tax form W-4
- A Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) membership application form
- Authorization and application for any other form of payroll deduction
- Police background check (local and national if applicable). YOU are responsible for requesting the background check from your local law enforcement agency, and submitting it or having them submit it to us.
- Birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: A US Department of Justice (Immigration and Naturalization Service) Employment Eligibility Verification form I-9
- Social Security card
- Valid Picture I.D.
- Proof of full-time teaching experience
Suggested reading for teaching applicants:
- Familiarity with AcademyACL’s website and in particular, its vision, mission, and approach to curriculum
- The Flip Side, Breaking Free of the Behaviors that Hold You Back, Flip Flippen, 2008. This resource forms the basis of the Capturing Kids’ Hearts model of classroom management that AcademyACL uses school wide
Required reading at AcademyACL for teachers includes:
- How the Gifted Brain Learns by David A. Sousa (2009)
- Best Practices in Gifted Education: An Evidence-Based Guide by Ann Robinson, Bruce M. Shore, Donna L. Enersen, and Ph.D. (2006)
- The Art and Science of Teaching by Robert Marzano (2007)
- Focus, by Michael Schmoker (2011)
Other helpful reading:
- Growing Up Gifted: Developing the Potential of Children at Home and at School (7th Edition) by Barbara Clark (2007)
- Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger’s, Depression, And Other Disorders by James T. Webb, et al. (2005)
Required training for AcademyACL staff and/or teachers includes:
- First Aid and CPR Training, with Epi-Pen Training (all staff on a rolling basis)
- Crisis Prevention Institute Training (CPI), (as applicable)
- Capturing Kids Hearts© Training